THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR

The Ben Folds Five Digest

Issue #896 - March 19, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Thursday, March 19 1998    Volume 01 : Number 896

                          THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
                    The Ben Folds Five Mailing List

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from
your old address, then subscribe using your new account.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    that's when i reached for my armchair
    Lounge-a-palooza & Sonic Session
    Godvilla Video
    Australia...
    Emaline Lyrics
    coolness.
    cool dip
    Thanks to Chris Short
    Songs...
    Ben article March 98
    Re:  Emaline Lyrics
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #895
    San Jose Events Center Arena?
    SFTD IS next up
    The Next Single Has Arrived
    down by where the crackheads live
    emaline lyrics
    bad idea/retarded lyrics
    New E-Mail Address for Ben Folds Five
    New Portishead Mailing List!

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:52:13 -0600
From: chdevers@juno.com (kent brockman)
Subject: that's when i reached for my armchair

***** "100%" -- sonic youth *****
>now that's an odd choice. i think maybe "Diamond Sea" or
>"Madonna, Sean, And Me(Expressway To Yr Skull" would be cooler.

i was gonna say diamond sea, but that song is _20 minutes long_. sure
it's the best song on washing machine, but i don't think it's very cover
friendly, so to speak -- anybody covering it is going to spend a huge
chunk of their set on the monster -- most bands only get to play for an
hour or so, so that's an investment if you will... in hindsight though (i
think i mentioned it), i think schizophrenia would be a better s.y. song
to cover.

as for a couple other suggestions (hey, ideas are free, right?),
how about they cover something or other by any of the following:
johnny cash, pj harvey, breeders, tricky, jesus lizard, girls against
boys,
jesus and mary chain, mister bungle, king missile, herman's hermits.
maybe a little herman's hermits/billy idol medley... hehe...

i promise i'll drop the billy idol thing soon, i promise...
it just cracks me up too much though...

- --chris

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Where are you from, Damien?"
"The seventh layer of Hell!"
"Oh nice. [I'm] from Alabama..."

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:55:30 -0500
From: Chris Cline <cacline@ComCAT.COM>
Subject: Lounge-a-palooza & Sonic Session

Hello Fivers!  I just wanted to mention that the Lounge-a-palooza cd is
really excellent (as a previous post has already mentioned), and the
version of "She Don't Use Jelly..." is more kitsch than when they
perform it live (adding Muzak singers, etc.) - which makes you love it
all the more!
Additionally, have any Philly fans heard when Y100 is doing the Sonic
Session playback because I'm a bit tired of waking up every Sunday
morning at 8:50 and sitting in front of my tape recorder?  We attempted
to email them, and they gave us the lame answer of  "It'll be ready to
air when the master mix is ready...".  Gee thanks, that tells me a whole
lot!
Peace, Love & Hope--
Anna Cline
mailto:cacline@mail.comcat.com

"The 'problem with you' speech you gave me was fine
I liked the theories about my little stage
And I swore I was listening, but I started drifting
Around the part about me acting my age."

        --Ben Folds Five "Best Imitation of Myself"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 98 21:07:34 -0600
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@mail.com>
Subject: Godvilla Video

Godzilla Video:

  "The monster tearing the buildings down, looks funny as hell."

- -- Michael Bluejay  *  ICQ #3749849

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:12:08 -0800 (PST)
From: ralph kyatsu <inane_insane@yahoo.com>
Subject: Australia...

Acutally I did hear ben was applying for Australian Citizenship...he
was vacationing there not too long ago....apparantly he really digs
Adelaide(spelling?)....thought I would throw my $.02...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:03:34
From: "Hannah Kuhlmann" <kuhl0025@tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Emaline Lyrics

I believe it's "Some one should pay" - not "summer champagne."
- -Hannah

  Hannah Kuhlmann - kuhl0025@tc.umn.edu
  **FLASHY BEN FOLDS FIVE WEBSITE** AT
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/1094/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:48:21 PST
From: "rebehka-christine-chrissy-meg cramer" <rccmeg@hotmail.com>
Subject: coolness.

"Books are good."  "Parading's better."  -- A Hard Day's Night

i have only this to say to that:

"HEY!  WHOS THAT LITTLE OLD MAN!?" 'well who is he?" "he belongs to
paul"

everyones favorite chrissy(the silly old bananafish)

(meaning that i am the bestest chrissy cramer you know)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 23:55:23 -0500
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: cool dip

re: cool whip and kalamazoo

Don't know about others who have heard these old songs but when I heard
them I was like, "Ahhhhh, even Ben Folds Five wrote some bad songs." I'm
glad I got to hear them.....I just don't think they're good. Now Rocky
and Protection...I like those.

Oh yeah, MAN I HOPE song for the dumped isn't the next single. It's fun
and raucous but it is not, musically, a very good show of what they're
capable of. Kate, Kate, Kate. Why oh why was this never PUSHED as a
single?

michigan joe

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:27:07 PST
From: "Chantel Crossman" <chantel79@hotmail.com>
Subject: Thanks to Chris Short

I just wanted to publically thank Chris for the tape he sent to me.
It is the best bootleg of Ben Fols Five I have so far and most
importantely
Chris was there. Thanks so much Chris, you're the greatest!!!

Love your eternal Australian admirer Chantel
ps I am sorry I didn't get that signed photo of you!!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:00:32 +0800
From: "DesByrne" <DesByrne@bigpond.com>
Subject: Songs...

I've been thinking...a couple of posts back a girl (not sure who) sent in
her reasons for her loving the band so much, she also listed her best songs
and her favourite parts of each of these songs. Well after I read her post,
I picked out them out and listened to them once again and aquired a new
appreciation for them. Now I thought it would be groovy if anyone who has
nothing to do next time they're in front of their computer, could email me
and give me the reason for liking a particular song of theirs.

I don't care if it's the deep breathe that Ben takes before "Best imitation
of Myself" or the phone ringing in "Stevens", nothing is too trivial.
Personally my favourite part of my  "song of the month" is from 2:00 ->
2:20 in Eddie Walker. Try playing this really loud with out having the urge
to jump around and break things....I'll be waiting for a reply.

Does anyone else have a sick fantasy in which Ben, Darren and Robert some
how get lost and end up in Springfield?? Just asking.

Face it, your neo-maxi-zoom-dweebi. What would you be doing if you weren't
out making yourself a better citizen?					_Breakfast Club

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:32:23 +1100
From: Bree or Garth Nevin <nevinb@mpx.com.au>
Subject: Ben article March 98

I have a recent article with Ben attached to my web page at:

http:www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/arena/5111

It is from March 98(even though the interview was done in Jan)when Ben
was on Hols in Australia. It may answer some of your questions about the
direction of the new album. He also shares his thoughts on his fans.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:58:52 -0500
From: David Kennedy <dkennedy@pli.edu>
Subject: Re:  Emaline Lyrics

My take on it, for whatever that's worth, is that it's "some one should
pay" and not "summer champagne".  I just can't picture Ben ever writing
the phrase "summer champagne".  Seems to Michael Boltonish or something.
Anyhow, "someone should should pay" makes alotta sense to me.  If you
read below, like the good little boys and girls you are, you'll see what
I mean:

They're talking now,
does she know what they're saying?
She's got the air, to float above it.
I'm sinking in the some one should pay.

Hope that brings everone to the clear, zen-like, lyrical understanding
state that I'm in.  Bye.

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:22:30 -0500 (EST)
From: bldungan@unity.ncsu.edu
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #895

unsubscribe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:32:08 EST
From: FunShnBear <FunShnBear@aol.com>
Subject: San Jose Events Center Arena?

Ok.. maybe I've lost my mind.. but isn't the San Jose Events Center Arena,
where the San Jose Sharks play.. and where such travelling shows as Disney On
Ice are performed? Now.. if this is true, then that means that Ben Folds Five
will be playing where Yanni has performed?

Of course, I could just be losing it..

Oh.. to see them with only 400 people again..

- - Katie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:57:54 PST
From: "Jeff Jackson" <j940651@hotmail.com>
Subject: SFTD IS next up

Maybe this debate has already been settled on another post but for
anyone who hasn't heard...
The Radio trade mags all have Song For The Dumped as the next big single
from WAEA. The official word has it "impacting April 7th". So listen
closely to pop radio that day and in the background  you'll hear that
much anticipated groan of DJs and MDs everywhere saying...
"Uh...this isn't like Brick...uh...people don't like,  want this..."

JJ

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:44:04 EST
From: DanDWarhol <DanDWarhol@aol.com>
Subject: The Next Single Has Arrived

here in nj, we have this very alternative/cutting edge station called
106.3....they hired matt pinfield when he was just out of high school or
college or whatever, and basically started him in this carrer path which has
taken him to mtv....and were the first alternative station in america..so they
have quite a reputation...anyway, my point is this...i heard them play 'song
for the dumped' yesterday..and they prefaced it by saying "the bands new
release"...which could only mean the next single...at first i thought that its
a little too early because of brick's success...but brick is more adult
contemporary and song for the dumped is more alternative...so they can thrive
in 2 formats! kick ass! so to all reading this, we may finally
rejoice...bricks reign of terror is drawing to a close!

aaron

by the way, just a couple bands i think people should check out..bands that
are relatively obscure and DEFININTELY have not sold out...much like ben folds
five.. (maybe other fivers have similar tastes in music):

fretblanket
midnight oil                 (sorry none of them start with B's)
dandy warhols
and the recently discovered: Pulp

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:04:36 EST
From: Rocket no8 <Rocketno8@aol.com>
Subject: down by where the crackheads live

<< "schizophrenia" by sonic youth.
 i think alot of sy songs would sound good on a piano actually...
 oh well, whatever. >>
novel idea, but bear in mind that almost all of SY's guitar parts are in non-
standard tuning, so Ben would probably have to re-tune his piano or do
reasonable facsimiles(sp) with standard-tuning. it's always nice to see people
who are fans of both BF5 and SY since they are different in many ways but
nonetheless my two favorite bands.

<<In Brick after "for the moment we're alone" is there a ringing??>>
you're probably hearing the oft-overlooked hammond organ, which was played by
Caleb(wow, i'm now referring to the band's producer on a first name basis).

<<anyone else but me notcied darren never gets much attention on tv...?
I mean, i understand them filming Ben most of the time, but they always
find
a way to hide Darren!>>
although Darren is undeniably "the shy one" of the three of them, i don't
think that he always gets hidden. more often than not in press photos, Darren
is up in front in the middle with Robert and Ben off to the sides, and usually
on tv interviews(120, C/Net)Darren is seated in the middle. otherwise, it's
not unusual for the drummer of a band to get less attention, although he i my
favorite, partly because i am a drummer.
- -al
p.s.it's funny, my last post was so big it took up digest #892 in its
entirity!

"i don't want to be talking about bitches now"-barry eli

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:22:01 -0500
From: bf5 <whittyp@SURRY.NET>

Thanks Stephen,

I was trying to decide between their lyrics and mine and I chose theirs.  I
thought the correct line was, "I'm sinking and someone should pay."  Or
somethin like that.

Thanks for the agreed upon change,

~Whitney  =o)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:14:06 EST
From: Jessica237 <Jessica237@aol.com>
Subject: bad idea/retarded lyrics

i always thought they were:
pull over the car, pull over the car
i think i see some sweetest girl around
pull over the car, pull over the car
i think i feel like king tamagun

doesn't make much sense, but sounds right!! --jess

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:31:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: New E-Mail Address for Ben Folds Five

The band has a new e-mail address:

	bffmail@juno.com

Mail to the AOL address will be forwarded for the time being, but please
use the new address when writing to the band.

 -fjm
                Woke up way too late feeling hungover and old

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:01:13 +0000
From: jules <jules@idsonline.com>

Hello.

I've just created a mailing list for the band, Portishead. This is
fan-to-fan contact and interaction only for now, but might grow to more in
the future. If you'd like to join, send an email to :

with "subscribe" in the body (no quotes). You do not need a subject line.

There is also a digest version of this list available. To subscribe to the
digest, send an email to :

with "subscribe" in the body (no quotes). You do not need a subject line.

Please help me get this off the ground!

Thanks,
Jules

*Hulloo, I'm Jules™.*
jules@idsonline.com |*| ICQ #1200421
alias littlebaby on IRC |*| AOL IM "Jules0109"
"Little Baby" on PowWow
http://members.xoom.com/littlebaby/welcome.html
GUSTER Representative
THE DAVE MATTHEWS BAND MEDIA ARCHIVE:
http://www.geocities.com/~littlebaby--/
Now Playing : 'The Wall [disc 2]' by Pink Floyd.
"I'm a grown woman. I've earned my experiences, my scars."
- -Tori Amos