THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR

The Ben Folds Five Digest

Issue #417 - July 29, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Tuesday, July 29 1997     Volume 01 : Number 417

                           THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
                     The Ben Folds Five Mailing List

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #416
    H.O.R.D.E. In kansas city and Underground
    Single mad little person
    Who? responses...
    Obsession
    Underground...
    200 Angry Armchairs
    H.O.R.D.E.- What was good, what was not...
    Re:Barry Black
    Dwarf and Session
    BFF in Perth
    St. Louis show
    The Boys on mtv
    NEwd Video
    120 min and posture
    My thoughts
    St. Louis Horde

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 21:25:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: StarbabyM@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #416

What about the school of thought that Brick is about taking a girl to a
clinic to be tested for AIDS?

Nancy

PS  Is anybody on this list from Iceland?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 21:46:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: BenFolds7@aol.com
Subject: H.O.R.D.E. In kansas city and Underground

I went and saw BFF in Kansas City. I got to the second stage(where BFF was
playing) about 30 minutes before they started. Got right in the front. They
were the best band there, It was cool. Unfortuantly they didn't play
underground(one of my favorite BFF songs) well anyways they were cool  and
gave autographs. Ben and the guys were cool. I asked all of them for their
shoes(i didn't get them) and had ben sign my underwear.

Ricky

"all is fair in love!!!!!!!!!"
BEnFOlds7@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 97 21:51:29 PDT
From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: Single mad little person

Funny note, I was watching a movie on Showtime today called
"In The Soup". It's a Steve Buscemi flick about a director
whos film keeps falling apart during production. It's a really
funny film for those of y'all (us) who know how hellish it can
be to make a film. Anyways, theres a part where they are
trying to film a dream sequence. And, like any good dream
sequence, it features a dwarf. A disgruntled dwarf non the
less. This little person gets really pissed about the fact
that every cheesy dream sequence in a movie features a midget.
He ends up storming off the set in a huff. Then it shows rhe
rest of the crews reaction. They were all stone faced. First
thought in my mind
"Hehe, one angry dwarf and 200 solumn faces"

Well, I thought it was funny.

 Later,
    Steve

NO OFFENSE INTENDED TO ANYONE BY ANY OF THIS.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 97 22:27:36 EDT
From: shultz@bme1.image.uky.edu (Jason Shultz)
Subject: Who? responses...

<<Now I'm all for the spreading of musical joy and tuning deserving
listeners in to great music.  But ya know what?  It really pisses me off
when somebody can't even put it together that it's a band.  So, I am
starting a collection of responses to give when someone asks you what
Ben Folds Five is:

1.  New painful breakdancing maneuver
2.  Trapperkeeper's latest model
3.  Delicious new breakfast cereal
4.  New sketch comedy show on MTV starring...eh, who cares
5.  The recently reunited Jackson Five, minus Michael, but plus some guy
named Ben

How about:
6. A new traveling basketball team, kinda like the Harlem Globetrotters,
but made up of 5 short white guys.
7. A newly proposed idea to change the face on the five dollar bill
to some guy named Ben Folds.

Shultz

*  Jason Shultz                                   *
*  Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory            *
*  Wenner-Gren Center for Biomedical Engineering  *
*  University of Kentucky                         *
*  shultz@bme1.image.uky.edu                      *

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:31:39 +0800 (WST)
From: Jodie Poole <jpoole@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: Obsession

Hi there everyone!
	Well, here's my contribution to the obsession thing:

You know you're obsessed when you go to an absolutely unreal concert and
you get your biggest buzz of the night when you see someone wearing a BFF
shirt! (Hi Danny... Powderfinger went off, hey?!!)

Hmmmm.... I am obsessed.
Jodie

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 20:09:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: jrhee@wolfenet.com (Pollyanna Rhee)
Subject: Underground...

Hey all,

For a few months, I've been keeping track of all the BFF sites, articles
online, and general information about the band on the Internet with a
pretty unorganised set of links, but I finally redid it over the weekend,
along with info on ordering the singles over the Internet, etc...  the site
is hiding out at
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/6008/bff.html if any of you are
interested in taking a look...

Cheers,
Pollyanna

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:16:36 -0000
From: "idaho" <idaho@appstate.campus.mci.net>
Subject: 200 Angry Armchairs

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BC9AE3.2117E8C0

So I didn't check my mail for a couple of days and I check today and
recieved about 200 editions of the Armchair.  I feel special.
Unfortunately, there were still a lot of posts concerning   Member of BFF
vs Somebody.  You guys must be pretty bored.  Me too.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 00:05:27 -0600
From: GoodOmen <melani69@idt.net>
Subject: H.O.R.D.E.- What was good, what was not...

Hello,

I just got back from H.O.R.D.E. in Detroit and all in all it
was great.  The following is my review of the show:

Toad The Wet Sprocket was the best group on the main stage.
They were actually quite good.  Neil Young and Crazy Horse
were the main people on the first stage, and were okay. I
was not impressed by Primus (no surprise there.)  The first
second stage act was Domestic Problems.  I was amazed at how
cool they were as people and as musical artists. They are a
local band, so I don't know if they were at other
H.O.R.D.E.s or not, but they put on quite a unique show.
Morphine was okay and Cake Like was awful.  BFF was
excellent.  I was about three rows of people (standing) from
the stage.  I was practically deaf for four hours following,
but it was a good kind of deaf.  They were doing signings
five minutes after the Toad set, and it was cool to finally
meet them.  I was at a concert of theirs a few months ago
and was not fortunate enough to meet them.  I had this
poster that was a continuation of the one they took from me
at the last show.  This time it said I worship God (crossed
out) Satan (crossed out) God (c/o) Satan (c/o) God (c/o) Ben
Folds (c/o) and finally Darren Jessee.  They signed the
poster as follows:  Ben- "You wrote my name three times! Ben
Folds"  Darren Jessee- "Thanks! Darren Jessee"  And
following DJ's name Robert Sledge wrote "And not R.
Sledge"   It was probably the most unusual thing they signed
all day, but I can't be sure.  That was an excellent show.
Too bad Ben Folds Five only had a half hour.

The one thing I hate the most was that there was a guy
passing out BFF posters, but I was turned around and didn't
see him until he handed out his last one.  If anyone has an
extra or knows where I can get one, I would be so grateful
and willing to pay for someone to send me one. Please
contact me if you have any info!

GoodOmen
goodomen@rocketmail.com
Troy, MI

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 00:24:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dopus@aol.com
Subject: Re:Barry Black

<< Anyone know if Ben and Darren apper on the upcoming Barry Black record?

I do! and the answer is no...Eric Bachman of the Archers of Loaf whose side
project is Barry Black worked with all new people on the new one which is
titled "Tragic Animal Stories" and I think it's due out this week...well ive
run-on enough.

~Dopus

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 00:17:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Adam 'DeLicious' DeLisse" <adeliss@comp.uark.edu>
Subject: Dwarf and Session

well, i was gonna record the new video tonight, so i went downstairs at
precisely midnight CST and turned on MTV to record the new video, and i
turned it on right in the middle of the video.  i was so disappointed
cause i hadn't queued up the tape yet, but at least i got to see it.  i
liked it a lot, except i still can't stand the scream right at the very
end of the song.  i liked how they showed all his playing styles,
including sitting on the stool, standing up, karate chopping, throwing his
stool on the keyboard, etc.  it was very entertaining, and i laughed when
my mom asked if he was classically trained.

also, today, i was listening to the boy's session that can be found at
www.liveconcerts.com, and they mentioned that their sessions at west 54th
broadcast will air on sept 13, so keep that date in mind!!

talk to ya later fellow fivers

Adam DeLisse
					.
				       / \
				      / V \
				     /     \
				    / V V V \
				   /   V V   \
				  / V   V   V \
				 /             \
				/ V V V V V V V \
			       /   V V V V V V   \
			      / V   V V V V V   V \
			     /       V V V V       \
			    / V V V   V V V   V V V \
			   /   V V     V V     V V   \
			  / V   V   V   V   V   V   V \
			 /____________________________ \

   ...............and people say there is no beauty in math..............

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 22:47:12 PDT
From: "Danielle Griffin" <chewoki@hotmail.com>
Subject: BFF in Perth

I just heard the tour dates for BFF in Australia.  Why do most of my
favourite bands always have only play 18+ gigs??  They're playing at
Ozone Bar on ummm...heh..I was too angry to notice the date.  I think
that's totally unfair.  I now can't see You Am I, Blur and Ben Folds
Five.  Radiohead better not do the same thing.  Enough of my
complaining...

Danielle

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 01:48:06 EDT
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: St. Louis show

Hey...I know this is a little late and some people have already posted
their reviews of the St. Louis HORDE performance, but I have to say: it
was wonderful.  Although I really wish they would have played longer.
Hello to everyone I ran into from the Armchair!

Does anyone have any extra BF5 stickers?  I didn't see any there...very
disappointing.  Anyway, it could have been that I <possibly> had maybe a
bit <just a tad-bit> too much beer and totally over looked them, but hey,
I did look.  I'd love a sticker for my car, so if anyone has an extra,
I'll send you a buck or 2 or 3 or 4.

Got autographs and all of that...I got one of those little schedule books
signed and flipped through it the day after to see what they
wrote..."Sandi is getting her butt signed", "Hello Ms. Shorter, I'm
really tall", and then on this page with a picture of a totally dorky
guy, there was a little bubble drawn and the words (sorry if this offends
anyone): "Damn my d*ck is huge!"  Robert did the butt thing, Ben the
really tall thing, and although I can't be for sure...I would ASSUME that
the comment about this dude's genitals would be the other
member...although I am not naming names or pointing fingers...so you will
have to figure that one out.  I also got my jean shorts signed.  I was a
little drunk at the time and thought it would be really funny and meant
it as a joke because I remember metal chicks doing all of that shit back
in THE day...anyway, I am sorry to say that it just so happened to be my
favorite pair of cut offs (you know, those really old ones that fit just
right) so now I am stuck between getting all of those strange looks from
people thinking you're a damn idiot (while asking you who wrote "Member
of the 10,000 mile club" on your shorts) and just not wearing them at
all.  So I wore them yesterday.

Was planning on making it to the Indy show the following night, but had
car trouble and didn't roll into town until about 8:30pm...since they
were the only reason I wanted to go, I just drove right on home.  (Had to
pass through Indy on my way back to Kent, Ohio from St. Louis anyway.)
What a shitty day that was...missing them by an hour.  ugh.  I'm assuming
from other posts that it was a great show, ay?  I suppose that's a given.

Sandi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 01:03:21 -0700
From: jessmiester@juno.com (Jessica A Lemley)
Subject: The Boys on mtv

Ok here i am 5 minutes after i saw the "one Angry Dwarf..."video.  And i
am very happy i stayed up late after a long day.  First of all i'd like
to say that Ben was sexy as ever.  His piano playing was absolutley
awsome.  Did anybody else see the killer red & blue doc marten wingtips
that our little bass playing Robert was wearing?  He got one stolen.
Anyways, i didn't get to tape it 'cause my VCR's broken.  I also noticed
that you can't say bullshit on MTV, but you can say kiss my ass over and
over.:0)  Thanks for listening.
		Jessie

Look Ma--I'm Online--<www2.netcom.com/~dhill4/homepage.html>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:27:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kmrafter@aol.com
Subject: NEwd Video

Just saw the "One Angry Dwarf...." video on 120 Minutes. I know everyone's
gonna give this description for anyone who didn't see it, but I can't resist.
It starts out with a hole in the ground and you faintly hear the opening
piano while a guy walks by. He hears the song as it starts and sticks his
head through the hole. When he gets there, the camera flips around and
there's Ben, Darren, and Robert wailin away. As they rip through the song,
more and more people hear the song and stick their fat heads through the hole
until there's a big crowd around the hole. The best shots are opne of Ben
shaking his ass when he says kiss my ass, and him singing a set a lyrics to
the keys, (sorry, don't remember what words). Hope I was brief but clear. If
anyone wants to help me get started in the trading deal, mail me.
 kmrafter@aol.com

Skinny

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:35:07 -0400
From: "Faix, Andrew" <AFaix@harris.com>
Subject: 120 min and posture

Hey All,

Watched my successful taping job of 120 Minutes this morning and was
pleased to start my day with a little Ben Folds Five.  I guess I've seen
this before when I saw them live, and on some of there television
performances, but has anyone noticed Darren's posture while playing?
I've never seen a drummer sit up so straight.  He almost looks
uncomfortable.  Wow, what great posture, way to go Darren.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

- -Andrew (afaix@harris.com)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:41:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: BSCHACK@aol.com
Subject: My thoughts

Just two quick thoughts-
1 - I wonder if we can somehow convey a request to the boys (not that they
would probably listen - I guess they have their reasons for doing things)
that all us Folds Freaks would really love it if they could change around or
rotate at least one song in their HORDE set.  I mean, I bet there are a great
number of us who have caught them more than once, either in seperate HORDE
shows, or Central Park Summer Stage, etc. and don't want to hear the same 4
or 5 tunes.  Maybe just rotate a couple of songs in there - a little variety.

2 - As a regular reader of the armchair, I am BEGGING ON MY KNEES, please all
of you - I see it coming - lets not start an abortion debate here.  It will
make this otherwise pleasant discussion not so pleasant.  It will divide
people and draw lines and take away from the one thing we all have in common,
which is the reason we are here.  So lets all make a pledge to nip the
abortion debate/discussion in the bud - RIGHT NOW!!!!

- - Just my 6 cents (adjusted for inflation)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 12:23:11 -0600
From: Tina Archer <EPA2324@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: St. Louis Horde

Hey everyone, just thought I would post a few
comments/thoughts/ruminations/observations about the St. Louis show.  I
am sure my good friend "Easy E" Erik Lyons will post a long and rambling
but right on target post about the show, so I will spare everyone the
details, but share a few pertinent tidbits.  Here goes (in no particular
order):

1)  It was fricking hot.
2)  To Robert's girlfriend, he says you read this, and he says you think
we are freaks, you are right!!
3)  Darren was calling his girlfriend, surprise, surprise.  Hate to see his
telephone bill.
4)   Jumping up and down, showing my friend's Illinois "BFOLDS5" license
plates to everyone, as well as pictures we took in Milwaukee and at the
Galaxy show in the spring.
5)  Jumping up and down yelling lyrics at the top of my lungs.  Sorry to
the guy in front of me with the "Cool in School" t-shirt and Court Jester hat
for running into him.
6) Sandi Shortcake- - sorry I missed you, Erik said you were cool, but of
course.
7)  Scott Marshall- -where were you?  We kept yelling your name.
8)  Ben thanking my friend Erik for the pictures of him and Kate we took in
Milwaukee.
9)  Kate- - we missed you.
10)  To my new friend Tony, e-mail me!!! (epa2324@epa.state.il.us)