THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR

The Ben Folds Five Digest

Issue #400 - July 19, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, July 19 1997    Volume 01 : Number 400

                           THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
                     The Ben Folds Five Mailing List

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    monday release date
    Oz Tour
    Tori Amos vs. Ben Folds
    "KATE" piano music????
    short stories
    Tori Amos??? TORI AMOS?!?!?!?!
    a HORDE story
    Ben vs. Tori
    BFF newsletter
    Live Album
    Kate Singles
    seattle show--7/12
    Re: Random Poll
    You know you're obsessed when...?
    Another Compliment from Toad

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 20:34:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: William Christopher Kane <kanew1@ecl.wustl.edu>
Subject: monday release date

someone wrote recently about albums always coming out on tuesday -
therefore making the monday, september 1 release date kinda suspicious...

aren't new albums released on mondays in england?  that's what i was led
to believe...

chris

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 19:17:06 PDT
From: "Gil Fewster" <gilfer@hotmail.com>
Subject: Oz Tour

I have emailed JJJ asking for any further details about a full
Australian tour.  No reply yet, but fingers are crossed.  I suggest that
everybody in Aust. reading this should email them as well, and get all
your non net-connected friends to phone and write.  Show them how strong
the demand is and see what happens.

Gil Fewster.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 22:38:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: mayns@netcom.ca
Subject: Tori Amos vs. Ben Folds

"Who is a better pianist, Tori Amos or Ben Folds?"

Now let's get serious for a second here.  Tori Amos is a great songwriter, and a great piano player, but she is no Ben Folds.  I think of Ben as a piano virtuoso; one of the reasons I listen to BFF is that Ben is able to make his Baldwin do things that I'
ve never heard a piano do before.  He is even better than my Grandma, who can play Scott Joplin ragtime tunes by ear at full speed despite her arthritis.  I doubt Tori Amos could outplay Grandma Casper, but I know Ben could.
A real piano match-up would be Ben Folds vs. Victor Borge, preferrably side by side on the same piano.  Now that would be cool.

"Klaatu...Barada...Nikto"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 22:57:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Richard Trott <trott@nbcs.rutgers.edu>
Subject: "KATE" piano music????

> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 18:12:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Celestia <tooms@proaxis.com>
> Subject: "KATE" piano music????
>
> Does anyone in the world have the basic piano music for kate?

I learned it off the CD a few weeks ago.  I'd be happy to help you
out.  What part's giving you trouble?

Richard Trott
trott@nbcs.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:47:42 -0600 (MDT)
From: Jen Blum <junebug@realresource.com>
Subject: short stories

BFF/Chapel Hill short stories...

So BFF only played for a short while at the Salt Lake City, Utah HORDE show
(in Park City), but it was still loads of fun. Judging from the average age
of the crowd, it seemed like it might have been the first time that some of
the fans were actually able to attend a live BFF show. Lucky for us older
kids, BFF has played smallish shows in bars/clubs here in Utah, but I
remember many years ago when I couldn't get in to see my favorite bands.
Those were sad days.  Now we have HORDE. I'm sure some folks were glad to
even have a half hour of live BFF music. (I can't provide a set list because
I rarely remember stuff like that.)  The rest of the Utah lineup was great,
though I wouldn't have minded if Back had shown up, too.

Speaking of having been under 21 once upon a time...every time I hear Summer
B., I think back to the time I spent in school in Chapel Hill and one
specific summer evening at the Hard Back Cafe. (Ironically, I think Summer
might actually have arrived at the end of that summer. Even more ironic,
someone introduced us once at the corner of Rosemary and Cameron.  These
were the days before Ben Folds Five, so I'm guessing it's a coincidence.)

Back to the story, if you're still reading...here I was, enjoying a fun
evening out with some friends, minding my own business at the Hard Back
(well, actually trying to order a beer), when the fellow tending bar came
over and asked for my i.d.  Of course, I produced someone else's i.d.(quite
convincingly, or so I thought). The bartender said, "this is not you."  I
said, "of course it is."  "No it's not."  "Yes, it is," etc, until he then
said, "No it's not, you're Jen and you're in the history session I teach."
Yes, my history t.a. (I think his name was Alvis) then had the audacity to
take my fake i.d.  Can't help but laugh about this now.  It seems we're all
being updated on the local scoop with each new BFF album.

Take care and have fun at the shows as they make their way across the US.
Jen B.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 02:11:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: Tori Amos??? TORI AMOS?!?!?!?!

<< Personally, I think it's Tori, just beacuse she's..... well, for
 lack of a better word, insane. >>

YOU are insane. Tori Amos isn't even one-quarter the pianist Ben is. That's
like asking who's a better guitarist-- Phil Keaggy (hailed by Jimi Hendrix as
the best guitar player to ever live) or Kurt Cobain (by his own admission a
complete wanker when it comes to guitar-playing ability)?

I'm sorry, but Tori's piano playing is tired and cliche. She has, in her
whole life, NEVER played a single note, riff, line, lick, stab, chord or solo
that has impressed me in the least.

Sorry if I've gone kind of insane here, but I'm sick and tired of hearing
about Tori Amos, who, in my opinion, is tired and entirely overrated as a
musician, pianist and songwriter.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 01:45:18 +0000
From: "Arnold S. Rowe" <arowe@pe.net>
Subject: a HORDE story

hello all! here's my little experience at Irvine Meadows and some
info that will hopefully help you if you go. i'll try to keep it
short, but i have this tendency to ramble... sorry.

well, first off, we must be fans of the most social band in the
world. i spotted both Darren and Robert wandering around several
times, and then, around nine, they were at the HORDE music booth
signing autographs, so bring something you want signed!! i think
there were posters, too, but they were all gone when i got there. i
think there were stickers, also, 'cause i saw one on a sign as i was
leaving, and pealed it off. If anyone going to future dates would be
so kind to get me a couple of theirs as well as some stickers of SNZ,
i would be more then happy to make a tape of something of BFF for
you! please! and for all you bff semi-stalkers (come on, admit it!) i
saw Robert on the side of the stage when both SNZ and Neil Young were
playing.  their performance was smashing! but so damn short! the same
set list as the other show. if you want to be in front, you have to
be there as soon as the previous band on the Second Stage leaves, it
fills up quiet quickly. and Ben was very fun, winking at the
audience, seductively wigglying his underside at us. woohoo! Darren
said that they were touring all of the US after the come back from
australia! oh yeah, and i met their tour manager, Doug. he was
wearing a BFF hat, so i asked him where he got it, and he said it was
the only one, a trial. i guess the boys didn't like it, so thats the
only one... and Dan, being the incredibly talented person i am, ;D i
lost your e-mail addy, so do e-mail me if you want to trade or
something!

bye guys and gals! hope you have a great time when they arrive in your town!
~aimee

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:21:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: DMedsker@aol.com
Subject: Ben vs. Tori

In a message dated 97-07-17 20:09:28 EDT, owner-armchair@ford.il.ft.hse.nl
writes:

<< From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
 Subject: Random Poll

 	I know this is close to sacrilege for bringing this up, but it's
 something I was wondering: Who's the better pianist, Ben Folds or Tori
 Amos? Personally, I think it's Tori, just beacuse she's..... well, for
 lack of a better word, insane. Tell em what you think, and I fully expect
 to get flamed for this one. Laters! >>

<splink> exiting lurk mode
I think Ben has Tori beaten hands down, even if she's insane. Ben could
easily play a Tori song, but I don't think Tori could play a song like The
Last Polka without passing out.

David M
<splink> re-entering lurk mode

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:03:00 -0500
From: excandescent@thenexus.com
Subject: BFF newsletter

       anyone sign up for that newsletter?  i just got it today.  it's
got an orderform for the shirts (basicaly everything that's on the web
page) and it's got horde dates and..it's kinda out dated because it says
"we plan to add a string section to our live shows" and "battle of cwho
could care less has just been added to mtv rotation"  but, it says that
they should be working on videos for one angry dwarf...and brick and
they should be both finished soon. ...i don't know how i feel about
this.  i mean, sometimes with a band you hear a song and you say, "if
this was a single, they would be VERY VERY popular"...and i said that
about "black hole sun" when i first heard it and that song was all over
MTV that summer..and i have kind of the same feeling about brick..which
makes me kinda sad, actually.  don't get me wrong, ben folds five
deserves all the fame and fortune in the world, that's for damn sure,
and i know it, but i just don't wanna see them get killed like MTV does
to so many bands you know?  of course, try as i might, i can't get sick
of BFF no matter what.  i never even got sick of black hole sun and
every time i turned around it was there on TV :)  i dunno.  or maybe i'm
just sad because i think i just completly screwed up an opportunity to
have a really great job, which really sucks because i just walked outta
my other job (granted it was at mcdonald's, but ive never done that
before)  oh well, big brother got the keys and I got jackson cannery,
thats for sure.

       btw the songbook is also back in stock i guess, at least this
newsletter says it's available for order.  save me a copy willya :)  cuz
i wanna order one but as you see, i have to wait for my financial
situation to get better...sigh.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:33:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert Stevie Berryman Jr." <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Live Album

I recently read on the official page, and someone on the list brought it
up, about a live album coming out soon.  I e-mailed Frank Maynard and this
was his response.

> do you know if there is any truth to the post on the official page about
> a live album coming out on September 1?

  I cannot confirm the date but I do know that Caroline plans to release
an album this fall sometime, mostly of live tracks and older material
that didn't make the first album.

stevie

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 11:37:54 -0500
From: punkerboy@webtv.net (JOHN SCHOLTES, Jr.)
Subject: Kate Singles

Does anyone know what songs are on the Kate single with the yellow
J-card and pics of some girl on it? The only song listed is Kate, but I
have a feeling there's more, and I don't want to spend $10 for an import
of one song that I adready have.

Also, who's the girl? I've met Kate, and she sure doesn't look like her.

                                        Later,
                                                  Johnny

"Love is what love is
 And love is not
 What love is not." - John S. Hall

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/1867/ High Velocity Online

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:13:38 -0700
From: "Kamp, Marcus S" <Marcus.Kamp@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: seattle show--7/12

The free show in Seattle last weekend was outstanding (as is to be
expected).  It was in a yuppie-esque restaurant.  Ben borrowed a piano
(his was probably already in Portland for HORDE), but that didn't stop
him from beating it as if it were his own.  They didn't play Champagne
Supernova like we kept yelling, but I did get autographs.  I think
they picked up new fans-the feeling was that most of those in
attendance were only there 'cause it was free, but they all left as
true believers.  To go, I had to answer a trivia question-simple stuff
+ well worth it.
msk

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:08:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: The Man Who Knew Too Much <jmkross@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: Random Poll

Obviously, Tori Amos and Ben Folds are incomparable because of strikingly
different styles.  You would be hard pressed to really be able to compare
them..

Josh Kross                   301-779-6846                    |
3109 Rosemary Lane           jmkross@wam.umd.edu             |
Hyattsville, MD                                              |
20783                        http://www.wam.umd.edu/~jmkross/|
"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the   |
inexpressible is music." -- Aldous Huxley                    |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:08:10 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: You know you're obsessed when...?

oh dear. All of those things apply to me, so , um, what the hell, who
cares. Better than being obsessed about something stoopid like
Chocolate!
Anthony (obsessed and happy) :)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:26:48 -0400
From: Zach Walker <bagheera@pipeline.com>
Subject: Another Compliment from Toad

This was on the Toad the Wet Sprocket Homepage. It's from what they call
Glen's Tour Diary. He's their lead singer (most of the time). It's a summary
of the first HORDE dates events.

>07/12/1997
>
>Driving to Portland
>
>Well, we played our first show, and all went pretty well. We got to throw a
>frisbee around on the lawn before doors opened, the catering was excellent,
the >trains in the Lionel booth ran pretty close to on time, and lots of
good music >was played at high volume for hours on end (Ben Folds Five lived
up to and >surpassed my expectations, despite a sound system which sounded
like a >distorted cup and string telephone). Getting to perform ourselves
was a nice >addition to an otherwise excellent day. I'm happy, I guess.

Maybe they'll become good friends. WHo know? BTW, has anyone been able to
speak to the guys at HORDE? I gave a Ben a tape at a gig in May and would
really like to know what he thought about it. Hopefully they'll be
accessible. Bye now.
- --
"Got nowhere but home to go, got Ben Folds on my radio right now."--A. F. Duritz
Keep It Real.
Zach.
http://www.pipeline.com/~bagheera/home.htm

   ##  ####   ##b       ##@@@@#####   #@    ##
  ###  ###l  ####l ## #      #### ec     #  ##
  ##l ####   #* ## ## # ## ## ## #### ## ## l#
  ##l ####  ##  #l ## # ##  # ## #  # ## ###l#
  ### ####l ##  ## ## # ### # ##   ## ## # ###
  ##l###l##l ####   ##          xxXX XX XXX
  ##l###ll##  ** xxxx     XXXX   XX  XX XXX
  ##l^##l^##     XXXXX   XXXXXX  XX XXX XXX
  ##l ### ##l    XX XXX XXX  XX  XXXXXXXXXX
  ### ###l ##    XX  XX XXXXXXX  XXXX XXXX
  ###  ### ###   XX xXX XXX xxx  XXX  XXXX
  ###l ### ####b XXXXX   XXXXX   XX   XXX